ABOUT THE POSITION:
Metatron Press is seeking a part-time Publishing Assistant. This position is for a 10-month-long contract, to begin in September 2022 and end in June 2023. This Publishing Assistant role is reserved for a student enrolled in a recognized Canadian Post-Secondary institution.
This role is a dynamic one, ebbing and flowing with the unique, non-linear needs of the press. Applicants should be comfortable working with shifting roles and being open to learning new skills and being part of a productive yet experimental work environment.
The Publishing Assistant position will be reporting to the managing editor of Metatron Press. The candidate will be responsible for helping the Managing Editor with weekly tasks and assisting on Metatron Press’ various projects, including but not limited to: book projects, manuscript acquisition, public events, publicity and promotion, and helping us organize and launch a new online publishing platform (2023).
This is a rare and great opportunity for a student interested in books, culture, publishing, literature, design, technology and/or new media. You will get a hands-on, behind-the-scenes work experience working with an award-winning independent publisher of contemporary literature. Known for being a feminist, LGBTQ2S+ press that publishes genre-defying, edgy and subversive poetry and fiction, we are looking for a Publishing Assistant who shares an interest in our press’ mandate.
BASIC UNDERSTANDING OF THE FOLLOWING TOOLS AND PLATFORMS IS PREFERRED, BUT NOT ESSENTIAL:
• Creative Cloud (InDesign and Photoshop)
• Google Workspace
• Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
• Social media (Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube)
ACUTE INTERESTS THAT MAY FIT THE JOB INCLUDE:
• Contemporary publishing and literature
• Print media
• Creative Writing
• Multi-media poetry
• Digital literature
• Digital archival
• Editorial and curatorial
JOB ROLES AND OBLIGATIONS MAY INCLUDE:
• Assisting on the release of new books
• Assisting on the launch of a new literary digital platform (2023)
• Literary and new media research
• Publishing-related research
• Reading and commenting on submissions to the press
• Organizing and preparing content
• Helping Metatron Press adopt better accessibility tools
• Posting content on our website and social media platforms
• Creating newsletters and other promotional materials
• Liasoning on behalf of Metatron Press
• Helping at local book fairs and events
• Assisting on grant writing
• Admin assistance
Eligible students are:
a. Registered as a student in a recognized Canadian Post-Secondary institution in any program or field of study (Applicants enrolled in the following programs will be favoured: English Literature, New Media Studies, Publishing, Communications, Journalism)
b. Legally allowed to work in Canada according to the laws and regulations of the province or territory where they work
c. Either a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person granted refugee protection under the law.
$1000 month for 10 months (8-9 hours per week)
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your C.V. and a cover letter to INFO@METATRON-PRESS.COM before AUGUST 1, 2022 with the subject heading Publishing Assitant.
Interviews will take place in mid-August.
This position is made possible by The Government of Canada (funder of the Student Worker Program) and The Cultural Human Resources Council (the delivery organization for the SWP program). We are grateful for their support.